GRE Sentence Equivalence Practice Test: বাক্য সম্পূর্ণকরণ
এটিই জিআরই পরীক্ষার খুব কঠিন জায়গা। এখানে ভালো করার জন্য ভাষাগত জ্ঞান যেমন থাকতে হয়, পাশাপাশি তাত্ত্বিক জ্ঞানও কাজে লাগে।
1. The prize competition was ____ as a showcase for new technology, but instead the competition was marred by disqualifications and disputes.
ব্যাখ্যা: Since the competition was spoiled it did not do what it set out to do. The word ‘conceived’ is a definite possibility, but there is no other word with a similar meaning. The word ‘touted’ can mean advertised, and so can ‘heralded’ (announced) both of which would complete the sentence sensibly.
2. The new institute provides intensive postgraduate teaching to a wide range of students, in the hope that these students will use their knowledge to boost the country’s ____ economy.
ব্যাখ্যা: If the economy needs boosting it is probably not doing well. Two similar words from the negative choices available are ‘languishing’ and ‘flagging’ both of which imply the economy is weak. (Note that ‘flagging’ has more than one meaning!)
3. Like other metaphors, the “book of Nature” has two facets: it is ____ but if taken literally, it may mislead.
ব্যাখ্যা: The ‘but’ indicates opposite ideas. The opposite of mislead would be something that helps us see clearly – making ‘perceptive’ and ‘insightful’ obvious choices.
[Heuristic = serving to stimulate interest; prosaic = dull; iconoclastic = unorthodox]
4. The increasing interactivity emerging in the latest computer systems means that the traditional view of the computer as a ____ of information now unduly limiting.
ব্যাখ্যা: Since the computer is more interactive it is no longer to be viewed as a passive tool. We need two words which both suggest a passive role for the computer. ‘Repository’ and ‘cache’ are words which are used for a storage place and thus, are the best answer.
5. Turing’s life exerts a powerful and ____ effect on writers – the combination of the highly intellectual and the personally dramatic is hard to resist.
ব্যাখ্যা: The problem here is simply to find two synonyms: abiding and perennial are the only possibility. Both mean ‘lasting’.
6. As a result of his regimented upbringing, that left him unable to see the nuances of complex situations, he was often accused of being ____ .
ব্যাখ্যা: Someone who cannot see the nuances (shades of meaning) in a situation could be described as ‘imperceptive’. Someone who is imperceptive can also be called ‘obtuse’ (mentally dull and slow to understand).
7. It is paradoxical that String Theory inspires such widespread respect when it is so ____ that few could ever hope to master its claims.
ব্যাখ্যা: The word ‘arcane’ means known only to a few people; it is, therefore, ‘obscure’. As you can see, the sentence more or less defines the word ‘arcane’ so we can be sure we are correct.
8. Those with a reputation for ____ behavior seldom inspire respect: unwavering adherence to a viewpoint is more admired than flexibility.
ব্যাখ্যা: If an unchanging viewpoint is admired, then being changeable will not inspire respect. Therefore we need two words suggesting changeable: ‘fickle’ and ‘capricious’ both have that connotation. [Bombastic = arrogant; dogmatic = forcefully insistent; stalwart = brave and loyal]
9. The courtiers of the time had to be ____ in order to survive in an atmosphere where the least sign of rebellion could lead to banishment or worse.
ব্যাখ্যা: Anyone who has to toe the line and show no sign of rebellion is likely to be docile (easily lead) or taciturn (quiet) but these words do not have synonyms in the answer choices. However, ‘servile’ (groveling and sycophantic) does have a synonym – ‘fawning’.
10. Forgiveness was fine in theory, but she had trouble in accepting a religion that would allow ____ evil-doers access to heaven.
ব্যাখ্যা: Taken individually, almost all the words except venial (minor) seem to fit. But we have to find two words which give the sentence the same meaning. Hence we need ‘contrite’ and ‘repentant’ which both imply feeling sorry for wrong-doing.
Ans: 1. CD 2. AF 3. BD 4. EF 5. AC 6. CF 7. DE 8. AD 9. BF 10. A
# প্রশ্নগুলো ইন্টারনেট থেকে সংগ্রহ করা হয়েছে। এই প্রশ্নগুলোর ব্যাখ্যা বিশ্লেষণ আগামীকাল বাংলায় দেওয়া হবে। কাজ চলছে। Sentence Equivalence এ কীভাবে ভালো করা যায় সে বিষয়ে একটি আর্টিকেলও আগামীকাল ছাপা হবে।